Hover over an image for a description


Datestone 1881 on side of building

Commerative plaque dated 1881

Front apex of building showing monogram, inscription & circular window

Inscription "Village Hall" on front of building

Inscription "And Library" on front of building

Commerative plaque dated 1915

Postcard of Slinfold Village Hall c.1955

from The Francis Frith Collection
© Heritage Photographic Resources Limited
(accessed 06Jul2009)

History

The Child Memorial Village Hall (as it was originally known) was built in 1881 as a gift to the Parish in memory of Thomas and Caroline Child by their children and grandchildren. This is reflected in the monogram

Monogram TCC (Thomas & Caroline Child) on front og the building

TCC

on the front of the building, which also carries the inscription

Village Hall and Library

straddling the circular window.

Inscription straddling circular window on front of building

In 1915, the hall was enlarged "in affectionate remembrance of" the next generation of the Child family "by their Kinsfolk". This entailed the lengthening of the main hall and the addition of side rooms to the rear of the hall (see postcard c.1955).

The hall then continued to serve the village until 1981-83, when a flat-roofed extension was built within the corner of the L-shape to accommodate a new kitchen.

Planning for the next expansion commenced in the mid-1990s. This required Privy Council approval for the transfer of a small parcel of land from the adjoining churchyard, as well as the purchase of land from two adjoining houses. Meanwhile, with the hall being within a conservation area and next to a listed building (the church), the planning authority was quite particular. Eventually, it approved a two-storey extension in the style of a Sussex Barn so that it had a separate appearance from the main building.

The extension, complete refurbishment of the main hall, and the creation of a new kitchen were finished in 2001. In 2004, the old, flat-roofed (and now disused) kitchen was incorporated into the main hall to increase its size further.


If you notice any errors on, or any other problems with, this website, please contact the .
Slinfold Village Hall is not responsible for the content of any external websites or other material reached by following links on this website.


Historical information sourced (with permission of the author) from
Chatwin, Diana (2000) Slinfold Street: The Development of a Village in the Sussex Weald, Slinfold, The Slinfold Society (ISBN 095393080-7)

This website has been designed and produced by Trevor Dayneswood.
Photographs on the website have been contributed by, and are used with the permission of, Trevor Dayneswood or Mark Singleton, except where otherwise acknowledged.

All text and images on this website are © 2004-2012 Trustees of Slinfold Village Hall, except where otherwise indicated.